Headless system or serial console

John Murphy jdmfilter-spam at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 05:55:47 GMT 2005

Joachim Dagerot wrote:

>The handbook describes a way to install freeBSD to a headless system. (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-advanced.html)
>
>I'm used to drag'n'drop(!) my 45kg 21" spare monitor in and out from the closet to do single-user tasks. But now I want to go the serial port way.
>

>1. Is there a way to get a serial console after the installation is done? How? (Link?)
>2. Can I connect a palm to use as a console on the headless freeBSD system? How? (Link?)

I'm using a Palm III as a serial console, connecting through the cradle.

Serial console setup is explained in section 20.6 of the FreeBSD Handbook
www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serialconsole-setup.html

I use ptelnet as the palm client.  Works great if you can handle the
small fonts.
netpage.em.com.br/mmand/*ptelnet*.htm