What is the status of gvinum in FreeBSD 5.3?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Feb 17 21:57:36 GMT 2005

I was wondering about the status of gvinum in 5.3.

I seem to remember that there were a lot of problems with gvinum in 5.3,
but searching around, I can't seem to find anything that says for sure
one way or the other.

I'm just trying to seperate the FUD from the reality.  Is there anywhere
that has the status?  Anyone using gvinum that can say how reliable it
is or isn't?

I understand that there are GEOM classes available that have some of
the functionality of vinum that I could use instead, but there are
two reasons that these aren't an option for me.
1) I'm wanting to migrate 4.X machines with existing vinum volumes to
   5, and I'd rather not dump/restore.
2) There is at least one feature that vinum has that I don't see in
   any GEOM class, that I'm using.  That is the ability to add subdisks
   and use growfs to enlarge filesystems without having to dump/restore.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies