NFS hangs on 5.3-RELEASE-p5

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Thu Feb 17 11:42:00 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 14:23 +0200, Simonas Kareiva wrote:

[...]
> The problem is, that the nfs server hangs after running for a while,
> like, 20 minutes. Any file operations (at the nfs mount points and
> below) hang on the ftp server too, making it inaccessible.

I'm having the same problem here, also with 5.3 but in my case with
rsync. Oddly, the hang often happens at exactly the same point in a file
hierarchy and I initially suspected a problem with some specific files,
then with certain file types (it always seemed to hang when copying
pdfs). But it now seems to be more general than that. In fact, even
periods of inactivity can cause the nfs mount on the client to time out.

>  The nfsd
> processes on the nfs server do not respond to any signals sent by
> `kill`, so only a reboot of the system is a temporary solution.

I've found that a forced umount of the nfs mount on the client also
eradicates these processes.

>  We
> have ACPI enabled, NMBCLUSTERS set to 65535, SMP, debug.mpsafenet=0
> and also some kern.ipc.* customizations which, as we assume, do not
> affect the behavior of nfsd. Everything is served via 3COM 3C940
> single port, 1000baseT adapter (device sk). The whole dmesg is
> available at http://webart.lt/~molotov/dmesg

I'm having this problem on a stock system, so doubt that your
customisations are to blame.

I'm on the point of filing a pr - just trying to establish how easy it
is to reproduce the problem.

Peter.