UDMA ICRC error

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 23:57:29 GMT 2005

--- Ramiro Aceves <ea1abz at wanadoo.es> wrote:

> Rob wrote:
> > Ramiro Aceves wrote:
> >
> >>I have read that others had this problem before. I
> >>just write this report for you to know.
> >>
> >>When I installed FreeBSD 5.3 R, I get some errors
> >>like this, but I could end the install:
> >>
> >>ad0: WARNING -READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying
> >>        request) LBA=5313599
> >>ad0: FAILURE -READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
> >>        error=84 >ICRC,ABORTED>
> >>spec_getpages:(ad0s1a) I/O read failure: (error=5)
> >>
> >>I have solved the problem disabling DMA:
> >>hw.ata.ata_dma="0"
> >>

> > It's indeed a serious problem, but too few people
> > running 5.3 seem to suffer from this.
> >
> > Have you tried with 4.11?
> > I bet that would not generate these problems.
> >

> Thanks, I see that we are not alone!
>
> I have not got a 4.11 CDROM here. I could test it on
> 4.10 if you think
> it is important, I have a 4.10 CDROM here. My
> internet is too slow to
> dowload a full CDROM at home. I can download 4.11
> install CDROM on the
> computers at University if it worths the effort.

No, no need for that. It's already confirmed that
4.X does not have this problem.

However, recently there's a 'ATA mkIII' patch around,
which seems to also solve this problem. Follow the
discussion on -stable mailinglist for further
details.
I'm not yet sure whether you have to upgrade first
to "5-STABLE" before applying this patch.

Rob.