multi-version jumpstart

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Wed Feb 16 21:54:41 GMT 2005

Jamie Novak wrote:

> I'm able to get the jumpstart server to export the 5.3-RELEASE partition
> and pass the GENERIC kernel and install.cfg over to the network-booting
> machine, but when it comes time to actually NFS mount the install
> partition on the target server to run the install, it returns an NFS
> error:
>
> 	mount_nfs -P 10.x.x.x:/releases/5.3-RELEASE/ /dist
> 	mount_nfs: Can't update /var/db/mounttab for 10.x.x.x:/releases/5.3-RELEASE
> 	mount_nfs: /dist: operation not supported by device
>
> I'm assuming the problem is related to the fact that the jumpstart
> server is running 4.x-RELEASE, while the OS I'm trying to install on the
> target server (and the kernel that's attempting to NFS mount the
> partition) is from the 5.x line and they're fighting over mounttab
> magic.

No I don't think so. This error has been mentioned also in a previous
thread yesterday regarding diskless clients.

> Does anybody know if this kind of thing is possible? If so, what did you
> do to enable such a configuration to work? (Would it be possible to
> install both 4.x and 5.x on network-booting clients if the jumpstart
> server was 5.x instead of 4.x as it is now?)

I haven't tried with multi-version jumpstart, but I have used memory
disk fetched with tftp and installed with ftp. Avoids the NFS mess. I
wrote this into a howto:

    http://www.daemonsecurity.com/pxe/

Any feedback is appreciated.

(When I haven't submitted this yet, it's because I want to cover
diskless also and I still haven't found good solutions for nfs mount of
/var and there is a problem with using dhclient.)

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                           web: http://www.locolomo.org