moving files from bad sectors

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Wed Feb 16 16:27:39 GMT 2005

I have a hard disk that looks like its going out.

So far, there are 6 reported crc errors.  However, I have a file that
I would like to read as much as possible of using tar, but the whole
job stops like this:

 # tar cvf /dev/nrsa0 /home > /root/tarhome.cat
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
tar: /home/smbshare1/BUDGETS/RXS0008 fy04 kellogg report and
summary.xls: Read error at byte 14848, reading 10240 bytes:
Input/output error

When attempting to cp that same file I get another error and the cp
stops.

Are there any tools that will permit me to cp as much of this file as
possible, ie all sectors up to, and then past, the bad spot?

as another possibility, are there any tools that I can use with fsck
that would  mark the sector as bad so its not reused?

David Bear
phone: 	480-965-8257
fax: 	480-965-9189
College of Public Programs/ASU