Sendmail 8.13.1 oddities

Chris Boyd clb at midasnetworks.com
Wed Feb 16 08:03:32 GMT 2005

Here's one for the sendmail gurus:

I have a FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE #0 box with sendmail 8.13.1 built from
source.  I've hacked on the host.mc file a bit, adding delay_checks, a
few DNSBLs, and a config for authenticated relaying.  I also have a
largish access database, a few domains in local-host-names, and a
virtusertable.

Everything works for authenticated relaying and local delivery, but
email that is generated on the local system (daily reports, for
example) destined for local or SMTP delivery gets bit-bucketed with
"Data format error" and "Losing <qfilename> savemail panic"  in the
maillog.

But, if I add the user that's generating the mail to the virtusertable,
everything works fine.  I've never had to do this on a box running 8.12
or earlier.  Any hints?

Thanks!

--Chris