Quota Questions 5.3 Release

Jon Adams jonaadam at nsu.nova.edu
Tue Feb 15 22:28:41 GMT 2005

Benjamin Dover wrote:

>Take a look at this section of the handbook
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/quotas.html

Yes, I've read this and am aware of the process of recompiling the
kernel to implement quotas (done it before).
What I am looking for is an alternative to recompiling the kernel due to
the cripppled box I have.

>Its not left out its just not an standard option.  Compiling a kernel
>is not a difficult task.  It sounds more difficult than it really is.

I agree...  I have FreeBSD 5.3 and a 5.1 box I have lazily not yet
updated on a pair of poweredges in my apt,
I rebuilt the 5.3 kernel a couple of time when I was experimenting with
trying to install Oracle 8i on it (before giving up in frustration due
to the Oracle make files exiting emulation)

Thanks for the tip on sysinstall... D'oh