Operation: "ipfw on a gateway box"

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Feb 15 19:07:37 GMT 2005

Hiram Abiff <domain.admin at online.ie> writes:

> I followed your advice and rewrote my firewall rules.
> Although, even now, there are some major difficulties.

Please remember that you sent this message to a mailing list with a
very large number of people.  I, for one, do not remember the earlier
messages, and may not have read them.

> I still, can't acces the net from my 2 other computers
> via my FreeBSD firewalled gateway.
> Although I set up on it to allow traffic on
> ports 21, 22, 53, 8080 I can only telent to port
> 21, all the others report a "connection refused" error.

Where did you do this from?

> I can ping the FreeBSD box, but i cannot ping any outside
> IP addresseses from the FreeBSD box or the other boxes on my
> home LAN.

In other words, not only can't you access the net from the other
computers, but you can't from the FreeBSD box either?

Does anything work *without* the firewall?

> Also when FreeBSD is booting I caught some error messages that
> said unknow command "setup" for some of my firewall rules.

Kind of need more details here.  I can't see what that could be...