Wireless PCMIA problems

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Tue Feb 15 17:03:36 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 10:40 am, Lars Hederidder wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I have a 3Com 3CRSHPW_96 Wireless PCMIA card for my laptop.
> However I'm a newbie at using PCMIA cards on FreeBSD.
>
> BSD finds the card when I plug it in, but it doesn't show up when
> I use the ifconfig command.
>
> Can anyone help me with this problem, so I can get it up and running.
> The system is a fresh installed FreeBSD 5.3
>
> Thanks in advance
> Lars

When you say FreeBSD "sees" the card, do you mean it is associated with
a device, or just that the card's name appears in dmesg?

It would appear, from the email message link below, that this card
requires the use of it's Windows drivers.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2004-September/004804.html

Follow the link below to the online handbook's chapter on wireless
networking.  Read the whole chapter; but pay particular attention to
section 25.3.3.6.3, toward the bottom, regarding the NDISulator.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould