Instead of freebsd.com, why not...

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Tue Feb 15 13:40:05 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 09:32 pm, Anthony Atkielski
<atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC writes:
> > You can say all you want.
>
> Thank you.  I feel better about it knowing that it's okay with you.
>
> > Every professional designer I have ever talked with lamented the
> > poor state of standards conformance of IE for Windows.
>
> They probably never actually tested the browser.
>
> > And they could document it.
>
> Excellent ... where can I find a copy of their documentation?
>
> > MS only has compatibility with itself, and that is it.
>
> It interprets HTML correctly according to W3C standards, and it
> handles CSS correctly as well.  What other compatibility do you
> require?
>
> You can find test suites here:
>
> http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Test/ (HTML4)
> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/ (CSS)
>
> > And since it is the 800lb gorilla, they think they can basically do
> > whatever they want.
>
> They know that some criticism of what they do has no basis in fact,
> and that people without emotional investment in a hatred of Microsoft
> may actually check the facts and invalidate the criticisms.
>
> > People I highly respect have done lots of tests of browsers with
> > the standard and conformance to the W3C standards suites and IE
> > Windows does not do that well.
>
> I've done the tests myself, instead of believing what others say, and
> MSIE does fine.  The URLs are above.

I worked as a professional web developer and designer from 1996-2002.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Not only have I done the
tests, I've worked with it for a living. Knowing whether it was
compliant was part of my job. A huge part of my job was spent hacking
existing sites that were perfectly compliant as written so that they
would work properly in IE. Talk to *any* web developer, and they'll
tell you the same thing. MSIE at one time was getting better with
compliance (around when NS 4.7 was the most popular, a horrible time
for compliance in general), but it still wasn't very compliant, and the
spec has changed since they last updated it years ago. MSIE's CSS2
support is pathetic, and CSS isn't very good as it is. It allows - and
encourages - sloppy markup. They need to do more than push out security
fixes.

- jt