probably a simple problem with permissions

David Wassman myfreebsd at cox.net
Tue Feb 15 04:53:59 GMT 2005

I am probably understanding this problem incorrectly meaning there is a
simple explanation that is escaping me. My /dev/cd0 is owned by root so
I have tried to change both the owner and the group so I can use it as a
user.

I have tried:
chmod 777 /dev/cd0
chmod -R 777 /dev/cd0
chgrp 777 /dev/cd0

The problem is that when I reboot the system the old permissions return
and I have to su and change the permissions back. How do I make these
changes permanent? There is probably a security reason for  this but it
is very inconvenient on a desktop station. Any help would be
appreciated. I am running 5.3.

David