ppp_mode and ipfw

Michael C. Shultz reso3w83 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 14 16:43:04 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 05:50 am, Hiram Abiff wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've been trying to set up ipfw on my FreeBSD box
> which I use as a gateway to the Internet on my LAN.
>
> I compiled the kernel with options IPFIREWALL and IPDIVERT,
> edited rc.conf and some other files.
>
> Now I have 2 problems:
>
> 1.) Each time FreeBSD boots ppp automatically establishes
> a connection via ISDN. I do not want it to do that, I want
> the connection to be established when some of the other
> 2 boxes I have on my LAN run software that demands an
> internet connection.
>
> For Example, if I run firefox on my linux box, i want
> the FreeBSD box to receive the linux boxes request
> for a connection and dial my ISP via ISDN.
>
> In rc.conf I set ppp_mode="auto" because in ppp's man
> page it says that this is the correct mode for
> on-demand connection.
>
> 2.) Although I set up my firewall rules I cannot acces
> anything on the outside net anymore, and my other
> 2 boxes can't acces the Internet after setting aup the
> firewall. Also I cannot acces the squid proxy I set up
> on my FreeBSD box anymore. All of this was working
> before I set up the firewall. What am I doing wrong?
> Why can't I access the net outside my home LAN and
> why doesn't squid work anymore?
>
> Here's my firewall rule file:
>
> fwcmd="/sbin/ipfw"
>

> #Outside interface
> oif="tun0"
>

> #Inside interface
> iif="rl0"
>

> # Force a flushing of the current rules before reload
> $fwcmd -f flush
>

> #Check the state of all packets
> $fwcmd add check-state
>

> #Divert all packets through the tunnel interface.
> $fwcmd add divert natd all from any to any via oif

You should only be NAT'ing inbound packets here,
also the "$" is missing in oif:

$fwcmd add divert natd ip from any to any in via $oif

> # Allow all data from my network card and localhost
> $fwcmd add allow all from any to any via lo0
> $fwcmd add allow ip from any to any via $ii0

Is $ii0 a typo? you have iif="rl0" defined as your private NIC
did you mean to have:
$fwcmd add allow ip from any to any via $iif???

I see the same sort of errors in the rest, look it over carefully.

-Mike