Freebsd vs. linux

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Feb 14 09:48:58 GMT 2005

Anything that is COST EFFECTIVE and that runs well as a desktop..

The main difference between a desktop and a server is a server
needs beefy disk I/O or beefy CPU power or both, while a desktop
needs beefy video and can often make due with piss-poor disk I/O.

While a desktop is USUALLY optimized for the video, and saves
money by using poor I/O, and a server vis-versa, if you had unlimited
funds you could certainly put a hardware RAID card on your desktop
and have an equivalent to the server.

Ted