sudo never requires a password?

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Mon Feb 14 06:10:14 GMT 2005

--On Sunday, February 13, 2005 10:53 PM -0600 Brian John
<brianjohn at fusemail.com> wrote:

> How come whenever I do a 'sudo' command I never have to enter a password?
> I have tried it several times and it is like I have root access but don't
> need a root password by just using sudo.  I think this could be pretty
> dangerous.  I've never setup sudo before, at least not myself.  Could
> someone help me figure this out?

Sudo can be configured to require a password or to never require a
password.  If this is your machine, then su - to root and type "visudo" and
look at the file (/etc/sudoers) yourself.  Whoever set sudo up chose to set
it up that way.

Sudo can also be setup to only grant you "root" access to *certain*
resources.  It's up to the admin to make those kinds of decisions.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member