Choosing to install turns off laptop. HD is untouched.

bsdnooby bsdnooby at optonline.net
Mon Feb 14 03:00:18 GMT 2005

Hi,

When I try to install FreeBSD, my brand new HP Pavilion laptop turns
itself off.  It does not matter if I use 4.x or 5.x, CD or floppies.
There is no error log since it just shuts off after I choose to load a
kernel.  I have tried loading with ACPI off, and it does not help.  I
believe I tried all the kernel options available from the menu on 5.x.

The computer is a HP Pavilion zv5445us, with 512MB RAM, P4-3Ghz, 100GB
HD, 15.4" Hi-Def Screen, 54G 802.11b WLAN.  I purchased it from Best Buy.

Under Windows, it appears Hyper-Threading is turned on, and I have not
found a way to turn it off inside the CMOS.

The machine runs Windows XP Pro fine, but I am trying to switch to
FreeBSD on all my boxen.  I was really surprised to find this one
abruptly shutdown when trying to do the install.  It turns off before
the install really starts, so I do not have much information to solve
this problem.  The HD is never touched.

Any suggestions?