WEIRD: telnet

Colin J. Raven colin at kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl
Sun Feb 13 15:04:45 GMT 2005

On Feb 13 at 09:53, Fafa Diliha Romanova ASKED:

> what's with this badly written error message?
>
> # telnet localhost:61
> localhost:21: hostname nor servname provided, or not known
>
> have somebody compromised my telnet maybe?

No, the syntax is incorrect

telnet <hostname> [space] port_number
so in this case:
telnet localhost 61

Some tangential observations:
1. Unless you *must* use telnet for some reason, it's a good idea to
turn it off.
2. Please tell us that - in the example above - you weren't telnet'ing
as root? I see it was to locahost...but even so that's not a great
practice.

Regards & HTH,
-Colin
--