Freebsd vs. linux

Ramiro Aceves ea1abz at wanadoo.es
Sun Feb 13 12:40:01 GMT 2005

Loren M. Lang wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 02:15:16PM +0100, Ramiro Aceves wrote:
>
>>Hello Anthony
>>
>>Thanks for your reply.
>>
>>Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>>
>>>Ramiro Aceves writes:
>>>

> <snip>
>
>>I use my computer for my engineering calculations, surfing the net and
>>e-mailing,  and for fun and hobbies such as astronomy and amateur radio.
>>Both FreeBSD and Debian GNU/Linux seem to satisfy my requirements.
>>Indeed they share most of what FreeBSD call "third party apps".
>

> What do you do with ham radio on freebsd?  I haven't looked into it
> much, but it seems that there isn't nearly as many programs/device
> drivers for  freebsd as linux has.  I like how debian actually has a ham

yeah, debian is great for hamradio, that the reason why I use it! ;-)

> radio section for it.  I'd like to try out some of the digital radio
> stuff like AX.25

Yes, the most disapointing thing is that there is not AX.25 stuff. For
me there is no problem as I do not use packet radio now. I have found
some useful satellite programs, logging programs, circuit analisis
programs, circuit design, board design,  etc.. The most important
problem that prevents me to switch to FreeBSD is that SVGALIB do not
work on my nvidia TNT 2 video card. It segfaults, I have submitted a bug
report but no response at the moment. I need it for Linrad to work,
Linrad is an audio processing software very useful for amateur
moonbounce communication.