Freebsd vs. linux

Ramiro Aceves ea1abz at wanadoo.es
Sun Feb 13 12:39:58 GMT 2005

Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Ramiro Aceves writes:
>

>>There are not a myth, they are a fact. I have seen bluescreens
>>frecuently in win95 and winMillenium.
>

> Neither of these is based on NT, and both are dead products.

How can I trust on a company that creates such a bad OSes? My girlfriend
has got WinXP professional (is it sopoessed to be NT base, is not it?)
and from time to time she calls to me horrified to say that she has a
new problem with her machine: viruses, spyware, malware, things that
suddenly stop working, etc. I start trembling each time it happens. :-/

>>Now I am out of the winbugs world since 2 years and I am very happy.
>

> Perhaps longer than that, if you think Windows 95 is still current.

I started playing with Linux on 1998, but I switched 2 years ago.

>>Sure X is the culprit.
>

> I agree.  FreeBSD is stable without the GUI.  If the GUI were purely a
> userland program, there'd be no problem--but GUIs are never pure
> userland programs.

We have to live with that.

>>I need the GUIs for my daily work. Electronic circuit design software
>>requires GUI, imaging editing requieres GUI, and because of that many
>>people needs a GUI, but that is not a reason to use Winbugs.
>

> You have to use whatever platform supports your chosen application.

Linux and FreeBSD do it perfectly, as it have the same software collection.

>>I have seen also winXP computers here at University that do very weird
>>things everyday.
>

> Users at universities do very weird things to their computers.  In
> particular, university computers tend to be cesspools of viruses and
> worms.  It's a wonder they run at all.

If the Winbugs  were well designed that should not happen.

>>Why not choosing Linux or FreeBSD for the desktop?
>

> Because the leading desktop is Windows, with a quarter-million or so
> applications written for it.  Why do things the hard way when one can do
> them the easy way?

For me Linux/FreeBSD works, why should I use Windows?. I would be a
nonsense at all. I know windows well and I whould never go back.

>>I can choose a windowmanager among decens, I have many apps that
>>perform the same or better than the winbugs counterparts, and the best
>>of all, they are *free* and do not depend on any comercial enterprise.
>

> Quite a few applications for Windows are free or very inexpensive as
> well.

Windows is not free, I have to pay money and I do not have the source
code. Why should I pay for software that it is a like a "black box",
when I can use great free OSes? I can not afford paying a license for
every piece of software I use.

>>I do not need too much bells and whistles to fell confortable at the
>>desktop. A fluxbox window manager is perfect for me. The important
>>thing are the apps, not the desktop.
>

> Then why use a GUI at all?  GUIs are nothing more than bells and
> whistles.

How can I use the GIMP, xcircuit, pcb without a GUI ?