Instead of freebsd.com, why not...

Simon Burke simon.burke at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 12:29:53 GMT 2005

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:30:45 +0100, Anthony Atkielski
<atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Michael C. Shultz writes:
>
> > I Agree!  My FreeBSD desktop is very stable and user friendly. What
> > ever time I spend fixing/managing desktops is on my friends windows
> > machines, never my own because it always just works.
>
> Maybe you can explain to me how to get the following applications to run
> on a FreeBSD desktop:
>
> Adobe Photoshop
Use on my SGI workstaion (IRIX), GIMP
> Adobe Illustrator
Use on IRIX, also plenty of gpl etc vector drawing tools are available,
> Quark XPress
Scribus
> The Sims 2
Works via cedega
> Flight Simulator
Flight gear
> UltraEdit
VI, emacs
> Visual InterDev
Dreamweaver via wine, vi, emacs
> Microsoft Word
> Microsoft Excel
> Microsoft PowerPoint
All of MS office can be run via wine, (im using office 2000), or
openoffice, koffice, gnome office
> Microsoft Money
Gnucash
> The Bat!
evolution, thunderbird, sylpheed even
> Opera
Available for freeBSD
> Firefox
In ports
> Microsoft Internet Explorer
Firefox, or can use via wine
> Corel KnockOut
Quite probably plugins for GIMP to do that, infact if u know how to
use photoshop correctly then why would you need it?
> Flight Check
That looks like soft thats only needed by bad designers, I work
with/for design companies on a daily basis and they dont use it
> Bar Code Pro
BARZ_OUT pro
> MathType
Openoffice Math
> SecureFX
gftp does this
> SecureCRT
ssh, kssh
> SFS
If this means smart filesystem, then whats wronf with UFS2, ResierFS, XFS,
> Rebel
GIMP, or stop being so fsckin lazy
> Fritz 6.0
knights
> POV-Ray
how about erm.. POV-ray?
> Adobe PageMaker
Openoffice,scribus
> Adobe Streamline
Autotrace
> Adobe Acrobat (full version)
openoffice, scribus,
> Paint Shop Pro
GIMP
> Palm Desktop
there is tronnes of pim softwar about and palm, otheriwse i wont be
able to use my palm.
> SimCity
simcity 3000 should work through linux compat
> GeoClock
time-zones
> Ear Test
loads of midi apps, and this could be easily witten,its a very simple
ms app anyway
> BlitzIn
knights
take a look at http://linux-sound.org/
> Forte Agent
pan
> Movie Maker
kino, drupal
> Nikon Scan
gimp
> Rainbow
gimp
> Wacom Intuos
>its pretty much pnp

> However, I should point out that I also have applications that will not
> run on Windows:
>
> BIND
> sendmail
> syslog
> sshd
> ProFTP
> SFTP
Every heard of cygwin?

> The list is not long for FreeBSD, but every one of these applications is
> a critical application, and most must run without fail 24 hours a day,
> seven days a week.  Any one of them is enough to justify running a
> dedicated FreeBSD server.
There are alsways alternaitves that can do the exact same job, so i
dont see the problem, Oh by the way I am a linux system developer, so
i do know what im on about unlike Mr i cant be bothered to update  my
workstations.

> For this reason, I have several machines: a FreeBSD server, a Windows XP
> desktop, and a Windows NT server used as a desktop (to support some
> legacy applications).
I have several machines too, running IRIX, BSD and Linux, I havnt had
to for ages as everything i need to do i can do on a *nix box.

--
Theres no place like ::1

Thanks,
SimonB