Instead of freebsd.com, why not...

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Sat Feb 12 20:11:57 GMT 2005

On Feb 12, 2005, at 5:59 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>> The stabilities of NT-based systems and UNIX are roughly the same when
>> kernels are compared.
>
> How exactly does one do this when the NT kernel code isn't available
> for perusal?
>
> Other than, of course, just running both and assuming that because
> neither
> happens to crash running a screensaver, that they must be roughly the
> same.
> That's a marketing comparison which has no value.

After taking out all the  kernel level stuff for the GUI and other
performance enhancements that MS has made for the gamers and other
people, I would say that it is probably true that the NT kernel and the
BSD kernels are in the same order of magnitude of stability.  Dave
Cutler and his crew from DEC did a good job with VMS and VAX/ELN and
RSX-11M and I would assume that they would do the same job in their
kernel design and implementation for M$.  However, since that happened
MS has dumped a ton of crap into it.

Chad

disclaimer:  I have not seen the source to NT but I do know the
reputations of the implementors and designers of (at least the
original) NT kernel.

ex-DECcie