Instead of freebsd.com, why not...

Chris Zumbrunn chris at czv.com
Sat Feb 12 17:03:42 GMT 2005

On Feb 12, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:

> So far, I have not seen one single valid argument against a
> freebsd.com website or a new logo, so I side with the people that
> wants some changes to happen in this one.

Well, if you put it that bluntly, let me disagree with you :-)

If you look at the current freebsd.org website, you see a logo on top,
a navigation bar on the left, news on the right and a large area in the
middle that is reserved exclusively for advocacy content. There is
nothing wrong with that concept and it can serve well as the main web
page for both those that serve on a board of directors and those that
are bored of directors.

Yes, the design needs a face lift. That can be done without
compromising usability.

Yes, the navigation could be streamlined and should list sections such
as white papers, success stories and solution guides. That stuff just
needs to be produced! Without that it exists you can't link to it from
the front page.

Yes, the news should be more frequent and comprehensive. You can't
report what isn't happening. More should be written about FreeBSD and
links to new articles should be collected and updated daily.

Yes, the advocacy content should be much more exciting and
professional. There is a large need for lots of high quality advocacy
content including white papers, statistics, market research, graphics,
success stories, business cases, etc. All that "just" needs to be
produced.

None of the above will get accomplished by splitting the site in two.
All of the above needs to be done either way. Changing the design of
freebsd.org/freebsd.com is easy. The hard work is creating all the
content that needs to go behind it.

Cheers, Chris

chris at czv.com  +41 329 41 41 41
Chris Zumbrunn Ventures - http://www.czv.com/
Internet Application Technology - Reduced to the Maximum