How do I set the source address on a multi-homed host?

Daniela dgw at liwest.at
Sat Feb 12 13:05:33 GMT 2005

On Friday 11 February 2005 21:27, Alin-Adrian Anton wrote:
> Daniela wrote:
> > I have two NICs (one inside and one outside interface) with NAT
> > activated. The problem is that every time I establish a connection with a
> > machine on my LAN, it uses the address of the outside interface as the
> > source of the packets, which creates problems with my firewall. How do I
> > tell my machine to use the other address whenever I connect to a local
> > machine?
> >
> > Daniela
>
> Hi Daniela,
>
> Can you please be more specific? You mean this happens when you are
> connecting from inside intranet to some other point inside intranet?

Yes, this happens when I connect from my machine (which functions as a router
with NAT to allow the other LAN machines connect to the internet) to another
LAN machine. When the router establishes a connection to another point in the
intranet, the source address used is my official IP, and not 10.0.0.1, which
is the intranet IP of the router.
In other words, I want the source address to be 10.0.0.1 on every outgoing
connection where the destination is inside my intranet.