Please don't change Beastie to another crap logo such as

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat Feb 12 02:48:18 PST 2005

Apple Computer company lived for a long time there because they figured
out one of the secrets - it's not necessary to have all the customers,
it's only necessary that all of the customers you do have, pay you a
lot of money.

FreeBSD doesen't need every single computer user.  We only need the
ones that are useful ones.  And criteria for a user being a desirable
one is pretty easy, they need to put more into the project than they
take out.

Thus when a user that is new to FreeBSD first starts using it, they
will need support and hand-holding from the mailing lists and
Usenet newsgroups.  As long as a few years later when they have
come up to speed, they then turn around and volunteer their time
on these same forums to help others into the boat, we are going to
survive and thrive.

The same goes with developers - the technical mailing lists have
many questions from developers experienced with coding but new
to FreeBSD, who ask questions.  If these people come back and
contribute some code to the project, then that's what we need.

Even I take time out now and then from arguing with you to answer
a few questions. ;-)

What we don't want are a lot of the kinds of users that infest the
Linx forums - people that pester, pester, pester for answers to
questions in the manual, then once they figure out how to get
what small item they want to work, they are never seen or heard
from in those groups again.

Ted