Please don't change Beastie to another crap logo such as

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sat Feb 12 04:17:08 GMT 2005

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 freebsd-questions-request at freebsd.org wrote:
 > Message: 23
 > Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:55:06 -0500 (EST)
 > From: Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu>
[..]

 > Well, I hope I am helpful, at least some of the time.   It seems
 > to run about 50-50 that I am near the topic and am way out of touch.

You're being way too modest, Jerry.

 > But, on this, the comment is not because of the specific opinion, but
 > rather the tenor of the posts which seem to have begun drifting in the
 > direction of having the look and feel of some from a recent very thoroughly
 > unpopular but active troll.

At least TM*@AOL mostly trolled about pseudo-technical issues, not all
this quasi-legalistic and corporate-cater crap.  Even Ted M got sucked
in, starting his next book in here, in the off-topic-before-last ..

 > The objectionable sign is the tendancy to not just post an opinion and
 > let others have theirs, but to repeatedly pound on the same thread, often
 > drifting far from the thread, with successive posts escalating the
 > virulence of the rhetoric until there is no semblence of exchange left,
 > just a bunch of who can shout the loudest.

Yep.

 > In a posting storm from only a few days ago, it was noted that this
 > goes beyond even the typical troll, and may need some other creature
 > to characterize the identity - maybe a cockatrice or something.

I only catch up on -questions as a digest, every now and again when I've
the time and/or want to find out something and/or am interested in some
discussions.  Lately it's been just chocfull of this sort of bs, which
is most distracting.  This is usually an excellent technical list, but
lately only in amongst all this massively off-topic stuff, which is sad.

 > Anyway, in the way of the old folk story, it looks like, feels like,
 > smells like, tastes like - sure glad I didn't step in it.

I like the mascot too, and couldn't care less about logos.  I also like
the clean, functional, fast website, and would hate to see it cluttered
up and slowed down by corporatised flashy crap to suit the suits Anthony
hopes to impress.  And, to polish it off, I just love FreeBSD on my lil'
laptop as well as on several servers.  Currently 8 Netscape windows, 11
Kwrite, 6 Konsoles in 160MB, uptime 6.5 days, last reboot 30 Jan .. and
that's an ancient FreeBSD 4.5, KDE 2.2.2 .. no good on the desktop, eh?

This will be my one and only 'contribution' to painting this bikeshed.

Cheers, Ian