/tmp on same partition as /

Tom Trelvik ttt at cwru.edu
Fri Feb 11 20:35:41 GMT 2005

Chad Morland wrote:
> In your opinion is having /tmp on the same partition as / really THAT
> bad in this case? I'm just wondering cause some people have mentioned
> that its a major security risk. Really, I don't think it is for what
> this box is doing.

	It's obviously a much bigger security risk on a multiuser machine, but
even without that being the case, I'm assuming the machine will be
providing some sort of network service?  Then it can still be a risk
worth taking into account.

	One or more network services may be making use of /tmp, and if so an
unauthenticated external user could plausibly find ways to make those
services max out their usage of /tmp, possibly filling your root
partition in the process.

	Even without worrying at all about malicious intent, /tmp on / makes it
very easily to *accidentally* fill your root partition, but'll still be
a pain for you to have to deal with it if that happens.

	More seriously, a vulnerability could be found in one of those services
that could depend on files in /tmp being executable (which should never
be true).  With a separate /tmp partition, you can easily have it
mounted with the noexec option for an added layer of security, so that
even if they create a malicious executable in /tmp, they won't be able
to execute it without moving it to another file system, which would
probably require they already have shell access, defeating the purpose.

Tom