I need a cuppa...

John john at starfire.mn.org
Fri Feb 11 07:54:48 PST 2005

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 01:10:31AM -0600, John wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 09:46:03PM -0800, Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 February 2005 09:01 pm, John <john at starfire.mn.org>
> > wrote:

> > > OK - I'm going to cut out a lot of the old, resolved history here,
> > > and cut to the chase.
> > > (FreeBSD pearl.starfire.mn.org 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #3: Thu
> > > Jan 27 23:26:17 CST 2005
> > > john at dauntless.starfire.mn.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PEARL  i386) I
> > > get the following:
> > > a+rx /usr/local/bin/registervm: not found
> > > *** Error code 127
> > >
> > > Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk14.
> > > pearl#
> > >
> > > Anybody got any clues for me?
> >
> > You need to install /usr/ports/java/javavmwrapper. When this happens,
> > sometimes it's worthwhile to search on Google for the name of file that
> > gave you the problem. In this case it's registervm, which caused the
> > install to fail because it's not found on your system. javavmwrapper
> > installs registervm, which I found by checking pkg_info -W registervm
> > on my system, because it's already there, but a Google search will also
> > show people who had the same problem, e.g.,
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-August/015208.html
> >
> > Just so you know ...

OK, for anyone following along or for those who may be sifting
through the archives in the future...

I installed the javavmwrapper, and re-ran the install.  It errored
out complaining that javavm was already registered.  I looked at
the code, and it was a shell script, so I followed the code
and found that it was looking for the entry in /usr/local/etc/javavms
so I just nuked that file.

The "make install" of jdk14 then succeeded!  Yippee!

When I tried to run java, however, I it said that it needed
libm.so.2 and my system is already at libm.so.3, so I created
an /etc/libmap.conf file as follows:

[/usr/local/jdk1.4.2/]  # All Java 1.4.1 programs use libthr
                        # This works because "javavms" executes
                        # programs with the full pathname
libm.so.2       libm.so.3

This is probably because the server on which this was built is
still running 5.2.1 and the system I'm installing it on is
5.3-STABLE.  Now that I think of it, this is probably a BAD
IDEA.  I'm going to go back and upgrade the system that built
it, and do a "make clean" and "make" for jdk14, then do the
"make deinstall" and "make install" for this and see if
I can't get rid of the libmap stuff, but for the moment, at least,
I can do the following:
java -version
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2-p7-john_01_feb_2005_15_43)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-p7-john_01_feb_2005_15_43, mixed mode)

Yeee hah!

Now I have to get physically near the machine and try the plugin hurdles
and see if I can get java web stuff to run...
--

John Lind
john at starfire.MN.ORG