Installation Fails (trap 12)

Jon Francis jon at nosc.ja.net
Fri Feb 11 03:38:56 PST 2005

Have been trying to install FreeBSD 5.3 (i386) onto a barebones PC with:

Biostar iDEQ 210P Athlon 64 machine
Nforce3 250Gb chipset
K8NBP motherboard

It fails quite early in the installation with the following message:

Can't re-use a leaf (recvspace)!
Can't re-use a leaf (maxdgram)!

Kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled

fault virtual address         = 0x63700061
fault code                     = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer         = 0x8:0xc0613001
stack pointer                = 0x10:0xc1021d50
frame pointer                = 0x10:0xc1021d5c
code segment                = base 0x0 limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                                   = DPL 0, pres 1, def 32 1, gran 1
processor eflags            = resume, IOPL =0
current process             = 0 ()
trap number                 = 12
panic      : page fault
uptime    : 1s

Looking through the mailing lists I can see there are compatability
problems with the Nforce3 chipset but only relating to driver problems
with the NIC and sound card.

Have also seen some issues with APCI and APIC so I disabled both from
the BIOS but still got the same message.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jon