SQL Questions

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Fri Feb 11 02:47:47 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 18:42 -0500, Sean wrote:
> I would like to install SQL here for my own use, not for any real life
> currently, round now for learning.
>
> Right now plan to install MySQL.
> Looking through the ports there is numerous version and some say for
> server, some say for client.
>
> Looking for some tips as to what version of SQL and tools to install?
> Also wondering if anyone can point me towards documentation in my
> learning efforts?

Hi,

I suggest you install the latest production version of mysql:

/usr/ports/databases/mysql41-server

which will install the client too. The command line client is an
excellent working environment but there are also several graphical
interfaces available. Try:

/usr/ports/databases/phpmyadmin

for a widely used web interface.

Mysql documentation can be found at:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/index.html

and there are a lot of excellent books.

If you're thinking of trying web database programming and are
considering using php as the language, install php5 and mysqli
(mysqli[mproved]):

/usr/ports/lang/php5
and

/usr/ports/lang/php5-extensions
ticking the box for mysqli, or the extension port:

/usr/ports/databases/php5-mysqli

This is because php5 and mysqli can access some of the newer features in
mysql 4.1

php documentation can be accessed at:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/

HTH