Logo Contest

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Thu Feb 10 20:44:55 PST 2005

On Thursday 10 February 2005 07:13 pm, Mike Hauber wrote:

> I have two questions.  These are not accusations, but questions
> and I don't want accusations in response.
>
> 1.  Why was this so hush-hush (ie, Why was it "leakable" (ie, why
> the secrecy, if FreeBSD is supposed to be a project where
> everyone can take part in?)))

Delay does not always indicate conspiracy or secrecy.  Sometimes it
indicates caution and thoughtfulness.  In this case, more delay was
needed for the sake of effective communication.

Given the volatile nature of the issue at hand, I think it's reasonable
to want the communication to be correct in more than spelling and
grammer.  The communication should:

1. Provide correct information; and
2. Clearly prioritize the motivations and issues justifying the
proposal.

Remember, the authors need to do more than write their thoughts.  They
need to consider how the words will be read.  Not only would I want the
authors/editors to take their time, I would want them to review the
document again 24 hours after it was finished.  Then, if it still looks
good, release it.

Bad communication can be far worse than no communication at all.  (QED)

Andrew Gould