Sending nightly cron job output without running sendmail

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Thu Feb 10 20:34:03 PST 2005

On Thursday 10 February 2005 08:24 pm, Joshua Tinnin
<krinklyfig at spymac.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 10 February 2005 08:04 pm, Kyle Jensen
> <kljgroups at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have deactivated sendmail via
> >
> >     sendmail_enable="NONE"
> >
> > in my /etc/rc.conf.  However, I
> > would like to receive the output
> > of my periodic cron jobs via email.
> > How can I configure my system for
> > this?
>
> sendmail_enable="NO"
>
> This disables sendmail's incoming mail service, but it will still
> deliver system mail.
>
> I also use this:
>
> sendmail_flags="-q1m"
>
> This means sendmail will process the queue once a minute.
>
> Also, in my crontab, I have:
>
> MAILTO=username
>
> ... which will email the output of cron jobs to username. I only use
> this in my local crontabs, but I guess you could put this in the main
> one.

Also, almost forgot, but if you want the output of periodic jobs (daily,
weekly, monthly, security run) mailed to username instead of root, you
can put this in your /etc/mail/aliases:

root:	username

This will mail everything that would normally go to root to username,
which includes those periodic jobs. If you want to change this on a
more granular level, check /etc/defaults/periodic.conf

- jt