Please don't change Beastie to another logo such asNetBSD!!!

Garance A Drosehn gad at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 10 14:47:56 PST 2005

At 5:27 PM -0500 2/10/05, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
>On 02/10/05 03:31 PM, Jacob S sat at the `puter and typed:
>>
>>  And a very poor example, IMHO. Can you give any proof that it's a valid
>>  example to say that Christians object to the use of the acronym "daemon"
>>  in Unix-like operating systems? I have not been able to find any proof
>>  on this list, the 19 Linux e-mail lists I am on, or the 2 or 3
>>  computer/programming forums I occasionally visit.
>
>It comes up on this very list all the time.  Always reciting the
>christian objection to "devils" and whatnot.
>
>Google is your friend.

No.  The people I meet in real life are my friends.  Google is a
search engine, and capable of finding some web page somewhere for
any and every extremist position.  You can also find web pages by
people who are upset by every company logo which happens to have
an eye somewhere in it.  That doesn't mean "my friends" have the
same objections.

I am saying that among the people I actually meet in real life
(whether friends or not), not one person has objected to the
daemon image based on their religious convictions.  Not one.  But
quite a few have thought that the icon seemed a little silly.  It
is only among the experienced Unix users who think it's a great,
amusing icon.

Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad at FreeBSD.org