Messed up my ports - "Can't find the `5.1-RELEASE' distribution on this FTP server."

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Feb 10 14:31:27 PST 2005

Joachim Dagerot wrote:

>I have probably done something sometime on my 2 year+ server installation that wrecked my port installation.
>
>Whenever I try to install a port I get the "Can't find the `5.1-RELEASE' distribution on this FTP server." the same goes with "sysinstall -> configure -> Distributions" I have tried multiple servers including the main. With the same result.
>
>I really don't know what to do. Any help is appreciated!

You probably didn't do anything.  FreeBSD 5.1 is quite a bit past
EOL.  See www.freebsd.org/security/.  Note that 5.1 is no longer
on the list.

Updgrade the system; then it won't be looking for non-existent
3rd party software any longer.

You should probably ask again to see if you can go straight to
5.3 from 5.1, or upgrade to 5.2.1 first and then 5.3.  I'm not
sure, myself.

Kevin Kinsey