Please don't change Beastie to another crap logo such asNetBSD!!!

Frank Laszlo laszlof at tvog.net
Thu Feb 10 14:09:39 PST 2005

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

>Frank Laszlo writes:
>

>>you are all looking at a web graphic. Allready rendered as process
>>colors. Its impossible to say how many "printing plates" its on.
>>

>Process is always four plates, except for the rare hexachrome offset, which
>is six plates.
>
>Spot colors require one plate per color.  Two-color jobs are pretty
>economical, which is why you see so much two-color work.

Yes, Process colors being 4 plates, but rendered properly, it could be less.

>>But that graphic could easily be a spot color print job, Which I think
>>by today's standards is acceptable.
>>

>I don't know what you mean by this.

The current "logo" as it is shown on freebsd.org, COULD be printed on 2
plates, as a 2 color job. those colors being black and red. (of course
red isnt true red, it would be some pantone color) But being a web
graphic that it is, you cant tell that by looking at it.

>>And I believe you stated a logo should be free of "screens" You only
>>need 1 plate to do a screen, so this is also irrelevent.
>>

>Screens cause a problem when you reduce a logo to small sizes, as there
>are limits on the line frequency you can use for screens, and if the
>screen is too coarse for a tiny graphic, it will look really bad.  So
>it's best to avoid screens altogether.
>
>Worse yet is having multiple screens on several plates, in which case
>you have to worry about registration issues, and the screens usually
>have to be much more coarse, which again causes problems for small
>sizes.

This isnt an issue with todays modern digital 4 color presses such as
the iGen3. It has no problem with registration if ran by a qualified
operator. Now if you are a 80's or 90's printer using an old heidelburg
2 color press, sure.. registration is very difficult when dealing with
small print and screens.
Furthermore, anyone with experience in the modern printing world knows
that getting high quality (and affordable) printed artwork on a small
piece is very simple when using the right equipment.  I've done several
of these type of jobs on the iGen3 we have here at my office. Anyways,
this is WAY off from the original post, So I end it with that.

Kind Regards,
    Frank Laszlo