Messed up my ports - "Can't find the `5.1-RELEASE' distribution on this FTP server."

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Thu Feb 10 12:44:15 PST 2005

On Thursday 10 February 2005 07:14 am, Joachim Dagerot wrote:
> I have probably done something sometime on my 2 year+ server
> installation that wrecked my port installation.
>
> Whenever I try to install a port I get the "Can't find the
> `5.1-RELEASE' distribution on this FTP server." the same goes with
> "sysinstall -> configure -> Distributions" I have tried multiple
> servers including the main. With the same result.
>
> I really don't know what to do. Any help is appreciated!

Ports don't go by releases like you are trying to do. If you look at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/
You will see that nothing before 5.2 is there now. The current set of
packages, which is what you are loading, would be located in
packages-5-stable.

Are you really still using 5.1? That was not considered a production
release. The current version is 5.3 and was the first to be given the
name of 5-stable.

Kent
--
Kent Stewart