FreeBSD logo design competition

stheg olloydson stheg_olloydson at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 12:11:26 PST 2005

it was said:

>    As a non-Christian, all I have to say to David is "right on."

Sounds like you're another person who, for reasons that you know better
than I, you seem to have taken my remarks as a personal attack.

>I also like Beastie, and would be greatly annoyed if FreeBSD got
>rid of it.  Political correctness sucks -- whatever side of the
>political spectrum it comes from.

Agreed to a point, the point being WHY beastie is replaced or, in
newspeak, "supplemented". If beastie were being "supplemented" as a
routine matter of business as logos sometimes are, I wouldn't be
annoyed, only disappointed. However, as you point out, beastie is being
replaced in a capitulation to what you mischaracterize as "political
correctness". This is a case of theological correctness; politics
doesn't enter into the discussion.
What I said is that those who complained about beastie belong to a
brand of religious ideology belonging to an irrational minority and as
such they and their complaints should be ignored.

>     However, so-called "free thinkers" who bravely equate George Bush
>to Iranian mullahs and believe people who have a problem with ripping
>the heads off of nine-month fetuses are no different than the freaking
>Taliban are the same idiots who buy into Michael Moore's conspiracy
>theories, idolize the mass murderer Che Guevara, and think the CIA
>"assassinated" reggae singers because America was about to chill out
>too much.

I don't believe I mentioned anything about Bush, Iran, fetuses, Michael
Moore, Che Guevara, or the CIA. Please keep to the discussion at hand
if you're not irrational.

>    And, oh yes, I am also a Maryland Republican living in painfully
>liberal Montgomery County, where our great progressive government
>leaders, unlike the Talibanesque John Ashcroft, have banned smoking in
>bars, not to mention a flurry of others pieces of legislation that
>regulate people's private lives.

Sounds like you are unhappy with your local government. I would
register and vote them out of office if I were you. That's how a
representative democracy works.

>     And let's not forget, Stheg, that leftist European governments
are >not known for their great libertarian restraint.  The
anti-terrorism >laws of many European nationsthink France, maybe
Holland soon enough) >make the Patriot Act look like something out of
Mayberry.

Now I'm really puzzled. Are you saying that you are moving to Europe to
get away from "painfully liberal Montgomery County"? I don't think
you'll like it there after the novelty wears off. Compared to most of
America, it's cold and expensive.
Perhaps you, like Mr. Johnson, are assuming from my name that I am not
American and are making a "Europeans are worse than Americans"
argument. Once again, your words do more to prove than disprove my
"xenophobia" remark.

>    Know thyselves, hypocrites.  Fundies aren't the only ones that
need >to mind their own business.

Based on this statement, I infer you are calling people against
religious oppression hypocrites, an interesting but contextually
irrelevant remark. Unless you mean to imply that I personally am a
hypocrite. If that is the case, adduce the statements I have made to
make your case.

You go on to say "Fundies" -and others- need to mind their own
business. The problem here is the "Fundies" (your word, not mine)
aren't minding their own business; they're minding ours!
Also at issue is the way the decision to "supplement" beastie was made.
Apparently, "the FreeBSD Project" thinks sneaking around and handing
out a _fait accompli_ is the proper way to be "professional" in this
community. As a member of this community, I AM minding my own business
by taking "them" to task for a rather base betrayal of trust.

>   Did I mention I like Beastie?)

Good for you. Then you, too, should be against "supplementing" beastie
for the same reason I am.

>    Rob.

Best regards,

Stheg