Logo Contest

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Thu Feb 10 08:36:40 PST 2005

On 02/10/05 03:03 PM, Devon H. O'Dell sat at the `puter and typed:
> rolling into my Inbox through last night and all of today.]
>
> I don't understand why you people are still battling on the subject.
> Some less-than-smart person has also started up an online petition which
> has gotten tons of people who DO NOT understand the situation to sign
> said petition.
>
> First: this is about PRINTING. What happens when you print any of the
> currently available FreeBSD logos? I'll tell you.

No, I don't think this is about printing.  The leaked document in its
initial form mentioned *replacing* the FreeBSD daemon.  No mention of
cleaning it up was made.  It even included a bunch of guidelines for
contest entries, including:
	* The logo must not exploit or offend a person's sex, race,
	  religion, morality, culture , nor be salacious or
	  pornographic.

Now, if you look at the URL that was originally leaked,
http://logo-contest.freebsd.org/announce.txt
You'll find something more carefully worded:

   This is the future site for the FreeBSD logo competiton which is meant
   to create a new logo for the FreeBSD Project to supplement the current
   Beastie mascot. Despite an early draft announcement that got out we
   are not quite ready for the logos yet. Please watch this space and the
   freebsd-announce mailing list for more information in the near future.

   http://logo-contest.freebsd.org/

This is looking like one of two things at this point:  A bait and
switch, meaning it is nothing more than an attempt to make those
opposed to replacing Beastie feel like they're involved, while those
with the ability to make the final decision choose something not
including Beastie, or they realized that the whole idea was a bad one
to start.

I can almost guarantee that if this was for nothing more than a
printing cleanup, none of this hype would be happening.  Besides, the
FreeBSD Mall doesn't seem to have much trouble printing up *their*
T-shirts.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

Burbulation:
  The obsessive act of opening and closing a refrigerator door in
  an attempt to catch it before the automatic light comes on.
    -- "Sniglets", Rich Hall & Friends