Please don't change Beastie to another crap logo such asNetBSD!!!

Frank Laszlo laszlof at tvog.net
Thu Feb 10 06:18:44 PST 2005

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

>Eric Kjeldergaard writes:
>

>>The logo can be seen on the website www.freeBSD.org.  it is in fact a
>>relatively (from a printing perspective) high-resolution image of our
>>daemon, holding a pitchfork on his left side.  He is slightly facing
>>forward, though looks off somewhat to the right.  I know, "He's a
>>mascot, not a daemon"...but that's not entirely true (not true at
>>all?).
>>

>Tell you what:  Go out and find out how much it would cost to print
>10,000 copies of that "logo" on paper, exactly as it appears on the
>site, in crisp detail and bright colors.  Then you'll see why a separate
>logo is required.
>

>>A name, symbol, or trademark designed for easy and definite
>>recognition, especially one borne on a single printing plate or piece
>>of type.
>>

>Yes, a _single printing plate_ or a _piece of type_.  The image you
>reference doesn't even come close to that.

you are all looking at a web graphic. Allready rendered as process
colors. Its impossible to say how many "printing plates" its on.
Obviously its more than 1. But that graphic could easily be a spot color
print job, Which I think by today's standards is acceptable. And I
believe you stated a logo should be free of "screens" You only need 1
plate to do a screen, so this is also irrelevent.

Regards,
    Frank Laszlo