jail manpage

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Wed Feb 9 15:10:48 PST 2005

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 14:32, pete wright wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 14:12:06 -0600, Josh Paetzel <josh at tcbug.org>
wrote:
> > I've been trying get jails working on my 5.3-RELEASE-p2 machine.
> > I've tried following the instructions in man 8 jail
> >
> > D=/here/is/the/jail
> > cd /usr/src
> > mkdir -p $D
> > make world DESTDIR=$D
> > cd etc
> > make distribution DESTDIR=$D
> > mount_devfs devfs $D/dev
> > cd $D
> > ln -sf dev/null kernel
> >
> > It dies at make world DESTDIR=$D with the following error:
> >
> > cc -0 -pipe -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/legacy/usr/include
> > c/usr/src/games/fortune/strfile/strfile.c
> >
> > make: don't know how to make /jail/test/usr/lib/libc.a. Stop
> > ***Error code 2
> > Stopping /usr/src
>
> couple things, I have this process scripted pretty much the same
> way you have mentioned here with no problems.  have you cvsup'd
> your source tree recenetly...also are you able to do a normal
> buildworld?

I'm running 5.3-RELEASE-p2 but just for kicks I rm -rf'd /usr/src
and /usr/obj and did:

cvsup to RELENG_5_3

make buildworld
make KERNCONF=MYKERNEL buildkernel
make KERNCONF=MYKERNEL installkernel
reboot
make installworld
reboot

Now I'm running 5.3-RELEASE-p5

Trying the steps outlined in man 8 jail gives me the exact same error
that I started with.

> > Surprisingly I found a post to -questions that has the exact same
> > error using the same commands that I did.  The thread never does
> > make clear as to whether the poster got it working.
> >
> > 57d710000501131800788ec662 at mail.gmail.com
>
> this link does not work....

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2806914+2810640+/usr/local/www/db/text/2005/freebsd-questions/20050116.freebsd-questions

Sorry about that.