maybe slightly OT - web content management kits

Chris Shenton chris at shenton.org
Wed Feb 9 13:07:33 PST 2005

Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD at keyslapper.net> writes:

>> I'm trying to find a good website management system.  Content
>> management.  I'm running Apache 2.0 with (among others) mod_perl2, (perl
>> 5.8.6) and Jakarta Tomcat 5.0.

> http://www.opensourcecms.com/
> I'm probably going to try a few out, since there's only a couple in the
> ports.  Among my top candidates are Mambo, geeklog (in ports), drupal
> (also in ports), opencms, Etomite, and Magnolia.

While I'm no expert on it, I think Plone may be the most well thought
out and fully-featured CMS out there; it also looks real nice, right
out of the box, and is fully buzzword-compliant :-). It runs on top of
Zope, so there are lots of ways to extend functionality. There are
also a bunch of add-on Products which can do all sorts of stuff, from
Wikis to PhotoAlbums.  Zope's written in Python, so it would not be
leveraging your Java and Perl stuff.  I front mine with Apache but
it's not required to do so.  Plone's in ports. There are now three
books on Plone which should help you if you want to go this way;
McKay's is available online if you want to take a look at what you can
do with plone.

http://plone.org/
http://docs.neuroinf.de/PloneBook

If you want to stay on the Java side, you could check out Jakarta
Slide, which calls itself a "low-level content management
framework". But  that does sound a bit low-level to me.

I'm not generally keen on large Perl and PHP suites, even though I've
written some myself.  Probably just my own phobias.  There's another
well-featured CMS I've read about -- but haven't played with -- called
Bricolage.  It's in Perl IIRC.