Firewall throughput question

Darryl Hoar darryl at osborne-ind.com
Wed Feb 9 08:43:11 PST 2005

Greetings,
I have had a Freebsd firewall (Older computer with (1) 3com 10Mb
ethernet PCI card, and (1) 3 com 10/100 Mb ethernet PCI card).
The firewall croaked on me (motherboard died).  As a quick fix,
I plugged in a Linksys BEFSX41.

My Question is, should I build a new Freebsd firewall or just
continue using the Linksys ? Throughput and security are my
concern.  I can have up to 20 machines on the LAN at one time
using the internet, so traffic throughput is a factor.

Anyway, my inclination is to build a new freebsd firewall, but
don't want to do the  work if the Linksys is good enough.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

-Darryl