rad5s1b shows up mysteriously instead of ad5s1b

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Tue Feb 8 21:14:30 PST 2005

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 10:49:03AM +0100, Kjell B. wrote:
> [...]
> /dev/ad0s1g             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad0s1e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
> #/dev/ad1s1a            /mnt/newroot    ufs     rw              1       1
> #/dev/ad1s1e            /mnt/newvar     ufs     rw              2       2
> #/dev/ad1s1f            /mnt/newtmp     ufs     rw              2       2
> #/dev/ad1s1g            /mnt/newusr     ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
> /dev/acd1c              /cdrom1         cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
> proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0
> /dev/ad4s2  /ntfs/c  ntfs  rw,noauto  0  0
> /dev/ad4s5  /ntfs/f  ntfs  rw,noauto  0  0
> /dev/ad4s6  /ntfs/g  ntfs  rw,noauto  0  0
> /dev/ad4s7  /ntfs/h  ntfs  rw,noauto  0  0
>
> After the move (and physical removal of the NTFS disk):
>
> # See the fstab(5) manual page for important information on automatic mounts
> # of network filesystems before modifying this file.
> #
> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
> Pass#
> /dev/ad4s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/ad5s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/ad4s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/ad5s1e             /rootback       ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/ad5s1f             /backup         ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad4s1f             /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad4s1g             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad4s1e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
> #/dev/ad1s1a            /mnt/newroot    ufs     rw              1       1
> #/dev/ad1s1e            /mnt/newvar     ufs     rw              2       2
> #/dev/ad1s1f            /mnt/newtmp     ufs     rw              2       2
> #/dev/ad1s1g            /mnt/newusr     ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
> /dev/acd1c              /cdrom1         cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
> proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0
> #/dev/ad4s2  /ntfs/c  ntfs  rw,noauto  0  0
> #/dev/ad4s5  /ntfs/f  ntfs  rw,noauto  0  0
> #/dev/ad4s6  /ntfs/g  ntfs  rw,noauto  0  0
> #/dev/ad4s7  /ntfs/h  ntfs  rw,noauto  0  0
>
> My swap areas are not ad4s1b and ad5s1b as I have defined, but rather
> ad4s1b and rad5s1b. Webmin reports:
> Mounted as 	Type 	Location 	In use? 	Permanent?
> Virtual Memory 	Virtual Memory (swap) 	/dev/ad4s1b 	Yes 	Yes
> Virtual Memory 	Virtual Memory (swap) 	/dev/ad5s1b 	No 	Yes
> Virtual Memory 	Virtual Memory (swap) 	/dev/rad5s1b 	Yes 	No
>
> Any explanation? What is rad? Is more info needed and if so: what?

r in front of any block device is the raw device for it.  It access the
data directly on the drive without using the buffer cache.  FreeBSD 5.x
no longer makes a distinction, and 4.x may still.  For swap, I'm not
sure how it interacts.  Swap may always be raw since the point is to
free up some ram and therefore it shouldn't be cached in ram.