ktrace as a replacement for strace

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Tue Feb 8 10:28:34 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:11:11PM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Feb 08), Loren M. Lang said:
> > >
> > > The string in the NAMI line immediately after an open() call is the
> > > filename in kdump output.
> >
> > Oh, I never noticed this since I was using grep to filter out the
> > open suyscalls.  In strace everything is in one line.  Is there
> > anything then that will work like the -e option in strace so I can
> > list just the syscalls I want to see?
>
> grep -A1 "CALL  open" is about the best you can do

Wow, I used to use the -A argument all the time years ago to grep. Then
at some point I stopped finding a need for it and completely forgot
about that.  One problem with cui vs. gui, if you don't use a feature
often enough, you'll forget it even exists unless you check the manpage
constantly.  At least with guis, the limited features they offer are
always visible.

--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C