Change Apache version string

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 8 04:01:37 PST 2005

Pat Maddox writes:

> I've got mod_php installed as well as mod_jk, so whenever there's a
> 404 Apache displays
> Apache/2.0.52 (FreeBSD) PHP/4.3.10 mod_jk/1.2.6
>
> I'm not sure if I'm being overly paranoid, but I don't really like the
> fact that all that info gets displayed.  Is there any way I can change
> Apache's version string, like I can with any ftp or smtp daemon?

Within limits, you can change it with the ServerTokens directive in the
configuration.  To get the bare minimum (just "Apache"), use

ServerTokens Prod

You might also set

ServerSignature Off

Which prevents Apache from putting its version at the end of any pages it
generates itself (missing page errors, directory listings, etc.).

--
Anthony