anyone get the linux_base-gentoo port to work?

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Mon Feb 7 22:16:54 PST 2005

I keep running into problems of the sort

host# /compat/linux/lib/ld-linux.so.2
/compat/linux/lib/ld-2.3.4.so: Exec format error. Binary file not
executable.
host#

Apparently under linux that will work (here is from a gentoo box I have
access to)

bash-2.05b# /lib/ld-linux.so.2
Usage: ld.so [OPTION]... EXECUTABLE-FILE [ARGS-FOR-PROGRAM...]
You have invoked `ld.so', the helper program for shared library
executables.
This program usually lives in the file `/lib/ld.so', and special
directives
in executable files using ELF shared libraries tell the system's program
loader to load the helper program from this file.  This helper program
loads
the shared libraries needed by the program executable, prepares the
program
to run, and runs it.  You may invoke this helper program directly from
the
command line to load and run an ELF executable file; this is like
executing
that file itself, but always uses this helper program from the file you
specified, instead of the helper program file specified in the
executable
file you run.  This is mostly of use for maintainers to test new
versions
of this helper program; chances are you did not intend to run this
program.

   --list                list all dependencies and how they are resolved
   --verify              verify that given object really is a
dynamically linked
                         object we can handle
   --library-path PATH   use given PATH instead of content of the
environment
                         variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH
   --inhibit-rpath LIST  ignore RUNPATH and RPATH information in object
names
                         in LIST
bash-2.05b#

trying to update portage or to rebuild gcc (as is recommended in the
port) evetually fail with the above error...  (The example I have above
was to retry the command at the command line)

Any ideas on how to make this work?

Thanks
Chad