IP Filter changes in FreeBSD

Jim Arnold jim0266 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 11:47:06 PST 2005

>On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 11:08:54AM -0500, Jim Arnold wrote:
>
>>  >If you don't have it in your kernel, the module will be loaded at boot
>>  >time if it's available.  If you don't have the module either, you
>>  >can't use ipfilter.
>>
>>  I must have been using the module with 4.7 stable since I did not
>>  have that in the kernel I was running with 4.7. After I upgraded to
>>  4.11 and IPF was not working I edited my kernel config file to
>>  uncomment the lines for IPF and then compiled the new kernel. I still
>>  don't have an answer why this happened.
>>
>>  Was the module taken out of 4.11 or an earlier version on FreeBSD?
>
>No, it's still there as long as you build modules.  If you have
>NO_MODULES in your make.conf, you won't, of course.
>
>Kris
>
>Attachment converted: osx:Untitled 3599 (    /    ) (000B9F03)

I'm using the same /etc/make.conf file when I first put this box
online in 2002. In that make.conf
file the line is commented out:

#NO_MODULES=    true    # do not build modules with the kernel

But the question for me is still, how did this work in 4.7 if the
above was commented out in my /etc/make.conf file and I did not have
these uncommented in my kernel config file when I built my
custom kernel for 4.7?

options         IPFILTER
options         IPFILTER_LOG

Thanks,