favor

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Mon Feb 7 09:51:06 PST 2005

On Feb 7, 2005, at 11:37 AM, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Eric Kjeldergaard writes:
>
> EK> To see the collection of prior postings to the list, visit the
> EK> freebsd-questions Archives.
> EK>
> EK> Since we are discussing implicit contracts, I would think that the
> EK> announcement that the collection of prior postings is linked to and
> EK> mentioned/described to be reasonable notification that the mailing
> EK> list gets archived.
>
> It's not.  And there must be no other way of subscribing in order for
> this method to be valid, anyway.
>
> Why do you think that software companies and Web sites and other
> organizations require you to check a box to accept terms and
> conditions,
> instead of just assuming that you read and understand them when they
> are
> displayed?

You mean the boilerplate like the one for the CD I just recently
installed telling me what I could run their program on, only to
discover that their "program" was nothing but a bunch of PDF files
hyperlinked by an index.html page?  PLEASE.  These companies don't even
bother reading their own license agreements anymore.  They get some
generic thing drafted by their lawyer (or steal someone else's) and
spew it into their packaged software to cover their butts.  The one I
read was definitely for an application of some kind, but the content on
the CD was definitely NOT an application.