Electricity bill [was: Re: Leaving a Computer Running ?]

markzero mark at darklogik.org
Mon Feb 7 09:40:38 PST 2005

> > Since the computers are necessary for both work and play, I consider
> > running them to be electricity wisely used.  I do turn the monitors off
> > when I'm not home, but since they are all flat panels now, that
> > represents only a trivial amount of electricity.
>
> That reminds me:
> Please also consider fire hazards!
> I have had a CRT-monitor catching on fire.

Of course, I forgot to mention that all the machines are connected to a
KVM switch arrangement - one monitor which is constantly off (emergency
console access only). The KVM switch arrangement is an exciting exercise
in spaghetti cable contortion, being two four port switches attached to
a two port switch. These switches should technically not be able to work
without a power supply but evidently they work just fine. I don't
question the arrangement, I just observe it from across the room. We get
along fine.

Mark

--
PGP: http://www.darklogik.org/pub/pgp/pgp.txt
B776 43DC 8A5D EAF9 2126 9A67 A7DA 390F DEFF 9DD1