Traffic upgrade 5.2.1 to 5.3

Tom Huppi thuppi at huppi.com
Mon Feb 7 00:58:45 PST 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Florian Hengstberger wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I want to upgrade my box from 5.2.1 to 5.3 stable.
> I have limited download, so, if I update the sources using cvsup
> in order to make buildworld ..., is there a way to roughly estimated
> the traffic.
> Case it's impossible, what's the typical order? A few MB, a few dozen
> MB or more?

I've recently used this technique to update several boxes from
5.1-ish to 5.3 with good results.  I'm behind a 24k modem
connection, and I don't recall the cvsup taking more than an hour
when I did it right.  Note that you will want to make sure that
you have not just /usr/src/sys, but also thing like
/usr/src/usr.bin, /usr/src/gnu, etc.  From the original iso
install, my system contained only the former and I had to download
more than I should have (via cvsup.)  I believe the rest to be on
the original distribution iso image, but in my case I just let the
download proceed.  I had built custom kernels so I thought my
/usr/src was complete, but it turns out that you need a lot more
to 'buildworld' (duh!) and I only realized this when I started the
cvsup (since it slipped by me in reading the handbook.)

You should be able to tar up your original /usr/src and start a
cvsup and see if you like how it's preceeding (if you have disk
space.)  I've played all kinds of games taking such tarballs from
one machine to another on cdrom, and have had no problems.

> Another thing is that there seem to be problems with the avr-tools
> my current work depends on. Is it somehow possible to keep this package
> as it is while upgrading.
> What about upgrading the kernel only?

A 'buildworld' will upgrade more than the 'kernel only' (system
compiler, system utilities, etc), but will _not_ upgrade things
from the ports collection.  Nor will a cvsup of 'src-all' update
your ports skeleton.  iirc, a cvsup of 'ports-all' tends to take
longer than one of 'src-all' (when done logically as per my above
notes)  but it's certainly dependant on the history of what you
start out with.

I did not notice any of my applications from pre-buildworld not
working after the upgrade, but I pretty much set to the task of
rebuilding a lot of them right way (after a separate upgrade of my
ports tree) so I didn't put much time into testing this.  You
would want to read /usr/src/UPDATING to try to spot any potential
gotcha's that you might tip you over with respect to running
earlier software that might be important to you.

BTW, you probably know this, but there are a few things to read up
on and think about (i.e., mergemaster -p, mergemaster, backups,
etc.)  Again, I had great luck with the procedures, but it did
take some thinking about and some time, and a few mis-steps.  I'd
mainly re-installed from scratch as a means of upgrading prior to
this.

I hope this helps.  Hopefully someone took better notes of the
size questions you have.

Thanks,

 - Tom