mplayer vs xine

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Sun Feb 6 16:59:54 PST 2005

On Saturday 5 February 2005 02:50, Rob wrote:
> Jacob S wrote:
> > I like mplayer for cli stuff and xine for gui.
> > Mainly because the cli stuff I do is downloading and
> > converting streams from wma/rm to wav/ogg/mp3, etc.
> > and I use the gui for watching videos and such.
>
> How do you convert realmedia to other formats with
> mplayer?
> Or maybe first: how do you play realmedia streams
> with mplayer?
>
> I have installed:
>    mplayer-gtk2-0.99.5_6
>    linux-realplayer-10.0.2_1
>    win32-codecs-2.1.0.p5,1
>
> I can't play realplay streams with mplayer.
> When I do:
>    mplayer -vo x11 "rtsp://some.site.com/movie.rm"
>
> I get lots of output in my terminal, among wich I
> see:
>
>   Opening video decoder: [realvid] RealVideo decoder
>   opening shared obj
> '/usr/local/lib/win32/drv4.so.6.0'
>   Error: Shared object "libc.so.6" not found, required
>   by "drv4.so.6.0" opening win32 dll 'drv4.so.6.0'
>
> But libc.so.6 is in /usr/compat/linux/lib. Hmm, why
> is that not found? I then did
>    ldconfig -m /usr/compat/linux/lib
>
> That helped. I started mplayer again, but then
> mplayer crashed, as follows:
>
> [...snip...]
> Opening audio decoder: [realaud] RealAudio decoder
> opening shared obj '/usr/local/lib/win32/cook.so.6.0'
>
> MPlayer interrupted by signal 10 in module:
> init_audio_codec
> - MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
>   It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your
>   drivers _or_ in your
>   gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault,
>   please read
>   DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the
>   instructions there. We can't and
>   won't help unless you provide this information when
>   reporting a possible bug.

> Any idea why I've got such problems with mplayer
> and real video streams?

I never gotten it to work either, a few of the codecs do -- I think the win32
only ones, but not the Unix ones from linux-realplayer. I'm sure mplayer/xine
being natively compiled while the real codecs are mostly linux libraries via
compat must be the problem.

If someone wants to fix this, do look at what NetBSD does. They have a
seperate real codecs package for it, I'm not sure what they do but their
mplayer/xine do work with the rv1 to 4 codecs, and no errors about cook and
all.

Dan